Thursday, April 14, 2011

'IT'S PAYBACK TIME, HONEY!'

Remember when Odell hid from me?
Between the wall and the headboard?
Yes.  That was the time.
I knew I would get him back.
And did I ever!

One evening when I was still
working one of those 'three jobs'
he always loved teasing about,
I came home early.
I came home because they told me to go home.
Apparently they no longer needed me.
Well, they needed me.
We just didn't always see eye to eye on the scheduling.

Knowing Odell would be coming over
when I got off work,
I hid my car and went inside.
When I heard his truck, I found a place to hide.
Behind the shower curtain.
I waited, almost holding my breath in anticipation.
Trying not to laugh.
I heard the door open.
He had stopped at the store.
I knew because I could hear him setting sacks on the table.
I waited until I heard him sit in my recliner.

Squeeek!  The feet came up and I knew he was
getting all comfy.
I reached out and flushed the toilet.
(Did I mention yet that Odell is a plumber)?

I heard the squeeek, feet down, pitter patter to the bathroom.
Light switch being flipped on.
Jiggle Jiggle of the toilet handle.  Pitter patter back to the recliner.
Squeeek.  Feet up.  All comfy again.

I held back the giggle as I reached out from the shower curtain.
Flushed it again.
Squeeeek!  Pitter Patter.  Light switch flipped on.  Jiggle, Jiggle!
Pitter patter. Back to recliner.
Squeeeek!  Feet up.  All comfy again.
Okay.
Yes.
I really did it.
I did.
I flushed it for the third time.
However, this time I came out from my hiding place and was washing my hands when he made his
entrance outside the bathroom door.
'Dad Blame!  Where did you come from?'
Was I laughing?
You bet I was!
He looked totally dumbfounded, standing there staring at me!
Then we were laughing together!
Yes, he was really getting to know this girl!

I decided then to share with him the reason I was home early.
Down a job.
That still left two according to him.
Maybe his retirement was still just around the corner!


I am thinking that 'life with Odell' is going to
be one wonderfully, crazy adventure after another!


And I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment