Sunday, August 7, 2011

HOME SWEET HOME

My husband nudged me gently.  Honey, we're home.'  I opened my eyes, surprised.  I couldn't believe I had slept the rest of the way.  But now we were here.  Safe. Tired. Happy. Thankful to God for being with us the last eight days and bringing us home safely...
together.

Home for now was the apartment I lived in when we met.
We would continue living there
until my lease was up and move on later to greener pastures.  At least eventually.  I knew my
husband had a dream of owning land and cattle.  Black Angus to be exact.






   And a huge vegetable garden.  Which we would both love! Who doesn't love vine-ripened tomatoes?    His dreams would become reality someday.  Just not today.

Because for now this was home.  Yawning and stretching, I sat up.  Time to get out of this car where we had spent many hours recently.    I would have been okay with going inside and leaving the unpacking until tomorrow.  But not my guy.  His energy seemed to be endless. Have I mentioned
lately that he loved spoiling his girl?  I tried to help carry things in.  He wouldn't hear of it. 'If you wouldn't mind, honey, you can just open the door.  I've got it.'   Would he always be so sweet and considerate, I wondered, as I walked in ahead of him.  Yes, I knew in my heart he would always be this amazing gentleman. How did I get so lucky?

What a surprise awaited us when we got inside...especially in our bedroom.  My friend, Margaret, had
brought my wedding gown home, among other things.


And she obviously enjoyed leaving fun messages on our mirror.   Which Odell had fun erasing. After we had a good laugh, of course.    One message was   OOH LA LA !!


While he was restoring the mirror to its original status and shine,
I was busy making up our bed with the lovely quilt we bought in
Branson.  Rather, the quilt my sweet, generous husband bought
for me.  When I found it, I knew it was what I wanted. 'Honey,
look at this one!  Don't you just love it?'  He smiled and took out
his billfold.  He knew there was no changing my mind. (This quilt still graces the same bed in my guest room today. Sad smile here).

There!  All done!  We had unpacked. Cleaned mirrors.  Made our bed.  Time to kick back and relax.
Mmm. Iced tea sure sounded wonderful!
                                                                     
  The ringing of the phone interrupted my daydream. Maybe I should just let it ring.  After all, we were still officially on our honeymoon.  Who wouldn't understand that?  Still... what if it were an emergency?  I picked up the phone and heard the voice of Randy, my youngest son, on the other end.  'Mom, good, you guys are home.  We're grilling burgers, so come on over and you won't have to cook tonight.'  I had him wait while I consulted the boss.  (smile).  He shrugged, smiling.  Leaving the decision up to me.  Okay.  We would be over but probably wouldn't stay too late.  We were pretty tired.

When we arrived, so had my oldest son, Don, and his family.  We had a nice evening together, enjoying food and fellowship.  My sons asked about our 'trip' which I decided must be easier for them to think of than
'mom on her honeymoon'.  We shared with them some of the highlights.  Only some of them. Naturally.
Finally, we stood and told everyone that these older newlyweds, should probably be heading for home.
                                                     

Ahh...How wonderful it was to crawl beneath our new quilt and just snuggle together!  It was such a warm,
cozy, happy feeling! Okay.
I turned to him and looked into
those gorgeous blue eyes.  'Honey, you know how much I love you?  Tell me why you love me so much...'  I knew what he would say.  I just loved him hearing say it.  Over and over.  He chuckled softly.  'You know I'm bashful!  Honey, I love you because to me you are
the total package since the first time we met.'    I sighed contentedly.  I didn't think my little heart
could contain much more happiness!   (I know.  This isn't us.  But you get the gist)!
  Wherever in life we were, as long as we were together, it would be home!

And we both knew without a doubt that...
                                                                                                                                     










No comments:

Post a Comment