Wednesday, August 3, 2011

DESTINATION HOME

It was our last morning.  After enjoying one last Branson breakfast at one of the local 'home style cookin' cafes, and of course, just a little more last minute shopping, we knew it was time to head home.

Home.  That little word had new meaning for us because it would be ours.  It had been a glorious, amazing eight days together!  Now it would be nice to start the 'settling in' process.  And
share some of the highlights of our honeymoon with our kids.  Not all, mind you, but some of them.

I leaned in close to my husband and lay my hand on his leg.  He turned his head and grinned.  I knew he was going to say it.  Remember?  The cute little, 'I'll give you about twenty minutes to stop that' thing he said earlier.  He did.  And I loved it!  In fact, I loved everything about him! 

Once again I offered to drive.  Very sweetly.  Once again he sweetly declined my offer.  Okay.  I did say I would share with you why he wasn't letting me help with the driving.  If you're thinking he didn't trust my driving, you'd be wrong.  Quite the opposite, in fact. At least half the time he was more than happy for me to drive,   Bless his heart!  He worked so hard all day.  It was a break for him to just relax and leave the driving in my capable hands.  (smile). So, naturally I didn't understand why he kept turning down my offers to assist. Not that I minded.  Then I remembered something I had said to him a few days before our wedding.   'Honey, I don't mind driving a lot of the time when we go out, but I definitely don't want to drive away from the church after the wedding!'  I had this crazy image in my head.  I know this is a much
younger couple but the point is she is driving!
                                                                       
                                                             
I remembered his laugh.  He didn't agree or disagree.  Just laughed.  That was it!  If we had driven 5,000 miles, he would have driven every mile himself. Without my help.
I was reminded of a comment made by his daughter the day I met her.  Could she have been right?
She had said her dad was stubborn.  I studied his profile as he was concentrating on the road.
His expression was relaxed and gentle.  And sweet!  I knew he couldn't possibly possess that personality trait.  (smile).  I would continue to consider him just a little 'strong willed.'

We started out with the rain.  Again.  But it didn't last too long. When the sun came out it was shining on the green rolling hills.  And there it was!  The most beautiful rainbow!


  God's promise to never flood his earth again.  Truly we had begun to wonder... (smile).  Not really, of course.

I was glad we had taken the scenic route.  Much favored by us both.  I had learned earlier my husband's dislike of turnpikes.  Particularly Oklahoma turnpikes.  Those that charged fees long after the 'dadblamed things' were paid for.   I knew there would be times we would take the turnpike.
And I knew I would smile patiently and comfort him when he was forced to pay for the pleasure of
driving on one of our state's 'money traps.'  But it would be okay.  As long as we were together
and in love, everything would be okay.

There weren't many stops that day.  Just a stop for lunch.  And an impromptu stop at a produce stand my husband spotted along the way.
                                                           

  He wanted to get a watermelon to take home with us.  Sounded
good to me.  It would be the first of many wonderful watermelons we would enjoy!  This one would be extra special, though.  The one we bought on the last leg of our honeymoon.  I watched him as he headed back to me.  He was carrying the melon and sporting a really big grin on that handsome face I adored.  'Oh, yeah, this is gonna be a good one,' he promised, pulling back onto the highway.

I looked out my window just as the sun was beginning to set. The beauty and majesty of God's creation never failed to amaze me.  What really amazed me was how anyone could doubt His existence!
                                                                                       

 I expressed these thoughts to Odell, and he agreed.  He glanced at me for a few seconds and caught me yawning. Just a little.
'Honey, why don't you kick back and take a little nap?' he suggested lovingly.  How sweet of him.
But first I had to be sure he could stay awake without my special little attentions.  Of course he could, he assured me in this cute little way he had, 'It's no step for a stepper.'  I sighed contentedly.   I felt totally loved and cherished as I closed my eyes, smiling.

I knew this amazingly wonderful man who loved me, would always take care of his girl.

And there wasn't a better feeling in the world.


                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment