Wednesday, August 3, 2011

BEAUTIFUL BRANSON.

If you've never been to Branson, Missouri, you are missing some of God's most beautiful country.
Set in the famous and beautiful Ozarks, it is absolutely breathtaking!

While I had been there many times in the past, I looked forward to experiencing it again...for the first time... with Odell Edwards, my husband!  I know.  I have said it more than once already.  I love referring to him as my husband, and I know I'll always be proud to do so.
There's a song that must have been written with this girl in mind.  'Sentimental Ole Me.'

Our drive for the most part was sunny.  However, we knew there was more rain coming.
It didn't matter.  We were going to enjoy ourselves, sunshine or rain.
And, hey, if it got too bad, there was also the cozy hotel room up ahead, promising comfortable
and dry accommodations.

It was going to be awhile yet before we arrived at that cozy, dry room.  My husband had decided it
would be fun to surprise Dad and Lu, and it wouldn't be much out of the way.  We knew it would be
a brief stop.  After all, this was our honeymoon, our special days together, that we didn't want to
share with anyone else.  Since it was his idea, I wondered what he had up his sleeve.  They lived out in the
country and it was growing dark when we pulled up in a drive some distance from their house. Odell turned to me, grinning, 'honey, wait here, okay?  I'll be right back to get you in a couple minutes.'   


                                             
Okay.  I could do that.  Knowing my guy was so much fun, I knew he was enjoying this.  True to his word, he returned shortly, laughing.  'Dad came to the door,' he said, and I told him, 'Dad, I brought her back!'
I was laughing with him by then.  'You're a nut!  What did Dad say?' I asked.  He told me Dad just shook his head and said, 'No refund!'  I could just imagine my Dad getting a kick out of Odell's joke.  And the fact
that we had stopped by to see them.  We went in and visited for just a little while.  It was like a 'pit stop.'  You know.  Restrooms, cold drinks, and back on the road again. They were happy we had stopped by.
So were we.  And happy to be alone once more.


Tired but excited, we finally neared our destination.  I watched anxiously to observe Odell's expression when we turned onto the historic Highway 76.   It had been several years since he had been here, and I knew he would be so impressed with how much it had all grown.

He was!  In fact, when he realized we had slowed down to nearly a crawl, I could tell that, while he was impressed, he didn't exactly share my level of enthusiasm.  'Baby, want me to drive? I really don't mind.'  I knew I had been blessed with an abundance of patience.  And I was quickly learning that my guy
didn't claim patience as one of his better virtues.  Please allow me to clarify here that in no way
was he grouchy, but the sighs I heard and the tension I could feel, convinced me.  'No, honey.  I'm fine,' he said, smiling at me. 'Okay, if you're sure...'  I had a feeling that before the next three days were over, he would be begging me to take the wheel!

We checked into a nice motel this time.  We hadn't made reservations, and it seemed the hotels
were pretty well booked.  So far, our lodging had been first class.  A nice, clean motel sounded
just fine.  It had a warm, cozy feel to it.  Our room was upstairs and opened to a balcony area.  Just a nice place to step outside and enjoy the fresh air together.  And possibly the rain.

                                                          

We stood there.  Just looking out over the city that was so lit up with all the theaters and shows along the 76 strip.  The sky was clear and the stars were bright.  As if they were shining just for us!  I remember standing close to Odell, our arms around each other, and just feeling the love and joy.  And when he turned toward me and leaned his head down to kiss me, I didn't want it to ever end. 
But it has to...sometime.
Eventually, you have to come up for air!                                 
Well.  Okay.  We weren't exactly teenagers anymore.


During the next three days, we did a fair share of sight seeing.  Shopping.  Eating. And more shopping.

Sound familiar?  As in Eureka Springs?   There were so many restaurants with fine eating along the 76 Strip.  And let us not fail to mention all the little cafes tucked away in the little roadside malls.  Trust me.
We were faced with some pretty difficult decisions.  And if you remember, making snap decisions is not one of my talents. I was finding out that it wasn't really one of my husband's, either.
While he was definitely my 'take charge' guy, he also enjoyed letting me make some of the decisions.
He was always quite the gentleman!

While in Branson, we made sure to enjoy an indoor version of the Passion Play.


 It was pretty amazing.  Odell talked it about it for years to come.  And this time he didn't see any of his work buddies or other friends.  No more hurt feelings for me.  (smile).



We also had a wonderful time at Silver Dollar City.

Our first time to experience a few fun rides together.  It was great!  We agreed that one of our favorites just had to be the train ride.  While it wasn't the most exhilirating, it was cool, relaxing, and quite scenic.  And, of course it was special to feel totally protected when we were robbed by a gang of fierce looking train robbers!  I just knew my guy would always be there to protect his girl!

In addition, we went to the Dixie Stampede, which proved to be quite entertaining.


                                                         



And included a five course meal.
No silverware here.  You ate with your hands, pardner, or you left there hungry!

It was our last night.  Our time in Branson was almost to a close.  For this time.
We knew we would be back here in the future.  When we returned to our room for the final night of our honeymoon, we
were tired.  But we were sooo happy! These eight days together had been awesome!
 
We would be carrying back with us so many beautiful memories to last a lifetime.  In additition to all of the souvenirs.  For me, the most beautiful part of it all, was just being with the man I adore.  The man I love with all my heart and soul.
My husband! 

I leaned over and initiated quite the kiss.  Which he returned while reaching over with
one hand to turn out the light. . .'We leave at daybreak,' he said softly in a slow, adorable
western drawl.

                               




Okay.  He didn't actually say that.  I must have just imagined it!  (smile).

Although we wouldn't be leaving at 'daybreak,' morning would be here soon.
We had many miles ahead of us.  And most likely, a lot more rain. . .

And probably my guy would be asking his girl to help with the driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment