Wednesday, August 24, 2011

IT HAD TO BE A MIRACLE

Mr. and Mrs. Odell Edwards.  I loved the way it sounded!  We were adjusting to being this happily married couple.  Getting used to one another's little habits.  I've heard wives complaining about their husband being messy...leaving underwear lying around on the bathroom floor...throwing his wet towel in a corner. 
                             

  Not my guy!  Quite the opposite, in fact.  He was very meticulous.  As for myself, I was almost a neat freak, but not totally.  While I couldn't stand clutter, I had to stay on my toes to keep up with him.  I'm not claiming I have the perfect husband, but he comes pretty close.  And I totally love him!
Could it be that we were both still on our best newleywed behavior?  Only time would tell.

Yes.  Things were going smoothly in the 'adjustment' department.  The '$$' department still needed
help.  Actually, a lot of help.  Our plumbing business was getting off the ground.  Odell was staying
pretty busy with plumbing new houses.  The problem with new plumbing is the waiting to get paid.  I sure didn't want my husband stressing over the bills.  I decided when he came home later I would talk to him about me going back to work for awhile.  Just until we really got on our feet.  I didn't feel too optomistic that he would be in agreement of my working again.  But I truly wanted to help in anyway I could. Just for awhile.
I planned to bring it up after supper later.

In the evenings, we loved sitting together outside in our little swing. It was our special time to reflect  on our day. And, as he liked to say, 'solve the world's problems.'


 I lay my hand on his leg. 'Sweetie, how about me working for awhile to help out?'  He stopped swinging and turned to me.  'No, honey.  I don't want you going back to work.  We'll get through this.  It's just a minor inconvenience. I don't want you worryin' about it.  Okay?'  He was grinning that lovable grin.  The one I could never resist.  I told him it was okay as long as he would tell me if he should change his mind later.  He leaned over and kissed me.  'Just let me take care of everything, honey.'   I sighed.  This was my husband.  My best friend. Lover. My confidant. More than anything, I knew he wanted to take care of me.  I felt so loved and cherished by him.  I believed in him.  And he absolutely
believed in us.  And we both knew that God would supply our needs if we did our part.  My part,
at least for that time...was to simply love, respect, and support my husband's decisions.  And to be the best wife I could possibly be. Because my guy deserved nothing less.

The following Sunday I felt the urge to put my last bill in the offering plate.

 I had ten dollars. And I knew Odell didn't have much either.  So I 'stepped out in faith' and slipped it into the plate as it was passed.  And I felt good about it. Well, after the initial twinge of doubt.  Odell wasn't there that morning, as he had to finish a certain portion of the plumbing on one of those new houses.  And so. . . only God, the usher, and I knew about this little love offering.

I clearly remember the next day when Odell came home for lunch.  I'm pretty sure I hadn't mentioned the offering to him.  Not that he would have objected.  He was the most giving man I have ever known.  After spending a little time together he needed to get back on the job.  We kissed goodbye.  Both wishing he didn't have to leave.  Saying goodbye was never easy for us.  At least not for this girl.
                   
  I cleared the lunch things away and went back into the living room to relax awhile.  Maybe watch a little television.  As I approached my favorite chair, something caught my eye.  A little green something.  Poking up from the back of the seat cushion.  Just enough to catch my attention.

  'Hmm...that looks like a dollar bill.'  When I reached out to retrieve it, my breath caught.  My heart beat faster.  I remember almost crying.  It wasn't a dollar bill.  It was a 100 dollar bill!   


Just as quickly as I realized how much it was, the scripture came to my mind about God giving back
ten fold.  I fell slowly back into my chair.  And laughed.  And cried.  And said, 'Thank you, dear Jesus!'  Then I called my husband to share this amazing 'thing' that had happened.  Seemingly out of nowhere.
He echoed my startled surprise.  I believe what he said was something like this, 'Well, I'll do say! Where did it come from?' I laughed with him and assured him I had no idea!  But we both agreed on the only possible answer. . .

It had to be a miracle!


And we believed it wouldn't be the last one!

While we didn't know what our future held, we knew we could trust in the One who 
lovingly held our future in His hands.








And we would take this journey together. . .
day by day.  Growing always in our love for each other
and the Keeper of our Dreams. . .














No comments:

Post a Comment