Thursday, March 24, 2011

WHY HASN'T HE CALLED?

As I drove away from the restaurant,
after meeting Odell, I felt pretty good.
About the way it all went.
About this man who had made a definite
impression on this girl.
He had seemed to like me.
A girl can usually tell about those things.
It was Saturday, and the next week was Thanksgiving.
I wondered if he would call in the next day or two. . .
He didn't.
He didn't call after a week.
Maybe he was busy with family for the holiday.
Maybe he wasn't all that impressed with me.
I had felt sure he was, though.
Then why hadn't he called?
Almost another week went by.
I was starting to get just a bit worried.
Maybe he wasn't so interested.
Then it happened.
Rrrrring!


'Lord, please let it be him!'
I didn't even check my makeup this time.
I picked up the phone.
Hoping. . .
I heard this now familiar, wonderful voice
on the other end.
Finally! 'Thank you, Lord.'
He sounded really glad to talk to me.
He didn't say why it had taken several days to call.
And I sure wasn't going to appear insecure by asking.
I was just glad he had called.
We talked like the last time.
About everything under the sun.
He asked me to go out to dinner with him.
Could he come and pick me up?
Of course.  That would be just fine.
Our first real date would happen that weekend.

A couple of things I learned after we had been
seeing each other for awhile.

I asked him why he had taken so long to call me?
'Well, honey, I didn't want you to think I was
too anxious!'

I asked him what his thoughts were when we first met
as I preceded him to our booth.
He gets this really lovable, sort of shy, grin and says...
 'I thought. . .I wish I had
a swing like THAT in MY backyard!'


 I'm blushing just writing it. (sigh)







No comments:

Post a Comment