Saturday, March 26, 2011

WHO SAID ZIO'S?

Was Zio's his suggestion?
Or was it mine?
I'm usually pretty good at remembering the details!
Not that it's a major deal.
Not that Metro Diner wasn't a date,
but Zio's would be even more special.
This would be the date that follows the first 'meeting'.
Where I'm supposed to remember things.
Like not sharing too much detail of my past,
and offering to pay for my meal.
Definitely offer to pay for my meal.
I learned that lesson already.
From my daughter.

It was a rainy evening when
he arrived to pick me up.
Then I saw it.


The big white truck.
I smiled at him.
Did he think I could easily
climb up into that monster?
He did.
So I did.  Not with a lot of dignity, mind you.
But, he held out his hand to assist me.
A girl could get used to this!
I'm feeling pretty impressed by this time.

Dinner was lovely!
Good food, good conversation!
A lot of laughs.

We left eventually. . .
back out into the rain!
Back up into that big truck!
Funny how it was easier this time.
It helps if you like the guy who
is boosting you up there!

I had a book I wanted to take back
to my daughter, Christy, and she was
just a mile or so down the road.
I mentioned this to him.
He was happy to oblige.
Okay.  I confess.  The book was
just an excuse.
I wanted my daughter who had
thought she knew how to 'fix me up'
to check out this man I found
all by myself!
Don't get me wrong.
I honestly appreciated
the hayrides and the coffee club.
They just didn't work out like
she had anticipated.

We slowly drove toward the turn off to her house.
We missed it.  Visibility was poor!
He drove a little ways and pulled off to turn around.
He turned around, all right!
Right up to the front door of a nice hotel.


I just couldn't pass this one up!
I turned to him and smiled.
'Really, Odell. . .this is our first date!'
He looked at me with that adorable,
cute grin.
'Yeah? My mama warned me about
women like you!'
But I'm thinking, 'Women like me?
I'm not the one who pulled up to a hotel!'
I didn't say it, though.  He was just so much fun!
We laughed together and drove back to Christy's house.
When we pulled in front of her house,
He asked if I would like for him to
take the book to the front door
so I wouldn't get wet?


Was there no end to his considerate ways?
I told him 'sure, if he wouldn't mind.'
Here we are in the pouring rain.
It's late.  No lights on inside the house.
He ran up to the door, and I saw
that it finally opened, but my view was
obstructed by the pouring rain.
When he returned to the truck a few
minutes later,
he told me all about it. He was laughing.
My daughter was ready for bed,
running around in her hubby's tee shirt.
She had looked out the peep hole and
saw this stranger standing there, dripping
all over her front porch.
 And in the distance
she had seen this ominous looking monster truck.
Apparently, she had run to her hubby. 'Don, I think 
someone is trying to rob us!'
Hubby got his shotgun.
Saw me sitting in the truck.
Don't know how with all that rain!

Poor Odell!  What a crazy way
to meet my family!
Had he known this was pretty much
the norm for us,
would he have dropped me off
and hurried back to one of the 'other women'
the dating service had originally tried to set him up with?

Naw. . .I think he was already hooked on this girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment