Sunday, October 16, 2011

MY FRIEND...MARGARET

Occasionally in 'our story' you will notice I go back a little...to a memory of a different place, a different time. There are just so many of them. Occasionally, something will trigger one of these memories, and I feel the urge to share it with you, my readers.  This is one of those times...

It was during our first year of married bliss.  Back to the cute little one bedroom apartment. Where we made some interesting memories. Remember when Odell hid from me and had me thinking something terrible had happened to him...that he had possibly met with foul play?  Or the time I paid him back when I came home from work early and hid in the shower?

 Meet Margaret.

My dear friend of many years. Now Odell's friend, as well. We were comfortable offering her the couch to crash on when she was too tired to drive the fifty plus miles back to her home.  Which didn't happen often. Once in awhile.

This was one of those 'once in awhile' times.  Odell and I were lying in bed.  Just snuggling together.
And talking.
He turned toward me and asked, 'Hey, honey, I was just thinking...why don't we pull a joke on Margaret?'  I was all for it and asked what he had in mind.  His idea involved a cute stuffed monkey someone had given me just for fun.  This little creature was motion activated, so that when someone passed in front of him, he would give a wolf whistle, and say, 'I looove you!'  We were both giggling like a couple of kids when he crawled back under the covers after getting it all set up.

We waited. And waited. Finally, we heard the front door quietly opening.  Then she was in the kitchen.  She enjoyed rummaging in the fridge for a late night snack.  And it was definitely late. We waited.  The bathroom light came on and the door was quickly closed.  Most likely she was trying not to awaken us.  So far we were hearing nothing.  I whispered to my husband, asking him if he was sure he put the monkey on the bathtub edge where she would pass in front of it?  He said he did. Then it happened!  The screaming...

Just as we were about to give up and drift off to sleep...
It didn't take long to learn what had transpired.  Evidently, Margaret wasn't directly in front of our little monkey friend, until she began pulling her shirt off over her head! 

The wolf whistle and the 'I looove you' sent her running into the hall in a panic.  She told us that she just knew that Odell wouldn't have been hiding behind the shower curtain, but then he was the only man in the house!

After Margaret's nerves were calmed, we all got such a laugh. At her expense, of course.  We figured that was all right, though. This was one lady who had more than her share of jokes up her sleeve...
and we could rest assured she would devise a plan of revenge.  Someday.
And when we least suspected it.

I put my arms around my crazy hubby and told him how much I loved him!  He grinned that cute little grin, and sleepily responded, 'yeahhh?'  There may be so many things we had yet to learn about each other, but there was one thing we both knew from the beginning...that is, without a doubt...

Our life together would never be boring!  And we were confidently assured that
                                        whatever surprises may lie ahead...

There would always be smiles. And laughter.  And love. Always love...
It just fits! We loved monkeying around!


No comments:

Post a Comment