Monday, September 19, 2011

TO KNOW HIM IS TO LOVE HIM

You've heard me say 'little things mean a lot.'  While that is so true, I must also confess that big things mean a lot, too.'  It was only a couple of months from the time we said those two most meaningful words, 'I do,' that we were thrown a huge curve.  More like sinking into a dark, deep valley. One that seemed to come out of nowhere. We were in it. And it wouldn't be going away anytime soon.  It would, in fact, affect our lives together for several years to come. I assure you that this valley was not of our own making or choosing.  That it was not about us personally. But it was one that would test our strengths.  Possibly test our faith at times. Mostly, it would show me the true character of this wonderful and honorable man who had vowed to stand by me. To love me. To protect me. To selflessly give of himself. Whatever the cost.

My purpose is not to actually share what this dark valley was.  There are some things in this life that we must face and go through together with God.  Only those closest to us would be affected, as well. My purpose is to allow my readers a more personal glimpse of this wonderful man. . .my husband, Odell.


I didn't think it was possible to love him more than I did already.  He held my heart completely. And yet through these dark waters, he was amazingly strong.  The love and respect I had for him grew and knew no limits.  I witnessed such a deep love resonating from this 'gentle giant.'  In a purely physical sense, he didn't have the stature of a giant. He stood tall and slender at six feet.. But if one could measure the heart and strength of character of this amazing man, he was indeed a giant among men.  And he loved me.  I felt blessed every day.  Just to be with him. To feel his warmth.  To rest in those strong arms and know it was okay to cry. Which I did.


Although I'm not at liberty to share this part of our story with you, I am in hopes that you will have an even better picture of the love of my life.  Not only did I gain a greater appreciation for him, we both knew that God had faithfully sustained us through it all.  It was through the darkest hours that we could see a light at the end of the tunnel.  God's light. For which we were so thankful.


And we were more deeply in love than before. If that were even possible. . .
            What a beautiful, beautiful love.                            


        









No comments:

Post a Comment