Monday, September 19, 2011

CHRISTY'S MIRACLE

Remember Christy? My oldest daughter.  Best known to her friends as Christa.


We called this little five pound girl Christy when she was born.  Somehow Christa sounded a bit big for this tiny baby girl. To her mama, siblings, and grandparents, she will always be Christy.  To refresh your memories, this girl played a significant part in the eventual meeting of my guy.  


I got so caught up in the thrill and excitement of telling our story. . .the wedding and the honeymoon, that I left out a most significant detail.  About Christy.  About her miracle.

It was during our wedding rehearsal that my daughter noticed having shortness of breath.  It was significant enough that she made an appointment to be seen by her doctor a few days after our wedding.  She may have thought the shortness of breath was brought about from her pregnancy with her fourth baby.

 Odell and I were enjoying our honeymoon when we got a call from her.  She gave us the alarming report from the tests the doctor had ordered.  She had been diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy, a serious heart disease.  Her doctor was concerned that she may not be able to carry her baby to term. That she could die. Also her baby.  She found out a day later that she was carrying their baby girl.  The little sister they had dreamed about.  She would be the sister to three older brothers.  And, according to her doctor, she may be their 'miracle' baby.

After Odell and I hung up from the call from Christy, I was crying. He held me close. I knew he was really
concerned about her, too.  'Honey, I can't imagine my world without my Christy in it.' 

She was always so full of life. So vibrant. So happy. A great mommy. And my twenty-five year old little girl still.  I just wasn't going to believe that she wouldn't be okay.  She had to be.  There would be countless prayers said on her behalf.  In addition to ours.  I  knew we had to trust God to take care of her.  He loved her even more than any of us could  That had to be an awful lot.  And I reminded God that we all loved and needed her. And that she had a husband and children who needed her desperately.


Since I so obviously have told this part of our story a bit out of sequence, I may as well conclude it with
the miracle birth of a perfectly healthy and beautiful baby girl on September 1, 1999. . .Heidi Michelle Newberry. 


Never mind the dark prognosis of the doctors. It is quite apparent that God's prognosis is what counted.

It has been twelve years since we heard those dark, heavy words from my daughter regarding her heart.
Today, she is doing much better than at that time.  She may always be on medication.  But we thank God she is here with us all.  And her miracle baby is no longer a baby. . .twelve years going on sixteen!  And a most lovely granddaughter!  Pictured here with her Grandpa Dell about two years ago.




'Thank you, God, for this double miracle. . .
                Christy and Heidi.





No comments:

Post a Comment