Wednesday, July 20, 2011

LET THE HONEYMOON BEGIN

What an exhilirating feeling as we drove away from the chapel.
Husband and wife.  Finally!  It felt Absolutely Amazing!
Beyond Estactic!  Completely Wonderful!

We had driven away amidst our host of well wishers.
We could still see them waving and laughing.
And the car looked so adorable.
But not as adorable as my handsome husband.
Hmmm!  I loved thinking of Odell as my husband now.

I was smiling at him and so engrossed in just watching his profile and his happy, relaxed grin.
It took a few seconds to realize he had pulled into a car wash.
'Honey, what are we doing here?'  I asked him, surprised.
He turned and looked at me like he thought I should know why he had stopped there.
'To clean all this stuff off the car, honey.'
I told him I wanted to leave it all decorated for the rest of the day, at least.
I wanted everyone to see that we had just tied the knot!
I wanted people to honk and wave as they passed us.
He shook his head and laughed.
He knew I would get my way about this.
I knew it, too.
I smiled and he leaned over and kissed his happy bride.

We were on our way to Eureka Springs to begin our honeymoon.
The honeymoon that began when we were pronounced husband and wife.
Married.
One with each other. And God.
In love.  So much in love!

We took our time getting there, stopping along the way for supper.
Another first.  There would be countless firsts in this new 'married' venture.
A sign in front of a cozy little place read 'Smoke House Cafe.'
We both agreed barbecue sounded really good.  We parked and went inside.
Yes.  Barbecue did sound tasty. However, the owners of 'Smoke House' didn't seem to
link 'smoke' with barbecue!
It seemed a little crazy, but since they did have a pretty decent buffet,
we decided to stay and enjoy what they had to offer.

If I remember right, I don't think I was all that hungry.  Not for food.
I found myself just staring into Odell's eyes.
I don't remember his appetite being as affected as mine.
Which was definitely a good thing.  I planned to work to 'fatten' up my husband.
Funny, though, as much as I felt I needed it, he had no plans of 'thinning' down his wife.'
I loved hearing him tell me he loved me just the way I was.
That I was the 'perfect package.'
I'm sure glad that old saying has some truth.
'Love is blind.'
Which reminds of a little rhyme I heard as a teenager. I might as well share it.
'Don't make love at the garden gate.  Love is blind, but the neighbors ain't.'

Returning to our story.
Thank you for indulging me.

Just as we arrived in Eureka Springs, we both spotted a Dairy Queen simultaneously.
This was the first time we discovered that we both loved DQ.
Especially the dipped cones.
It sounds just a bit crazy getting so thrilled over an ice cream cone.  But hey, we are talking
DQ dipped cones.
No contest! 
We went inside together and discovered one more new fact about each other.
His favorite was Chocolate.  Mine was butterscotch or cherry. Butterscotch this time.
No disappointment here.  Actually better than the Smokehouse Cafe.
The one with no barbecue.

We arrived rather late at JR's Hideaway.  The name was most fitting, as it set way back in
a woodsy, romantic setting. 
Our two room cabin style suite was really nice.  It even had a nice Jacuzzi close to
our bed.  Where we would be sleeping.  Eventually.

I can't begin to describe our heightened emotions.
Here we were together. . .joined as man and wife.
And sharing all the joys God planned for us.
Just two people who loved one another completely and unconditionally.
Who were soul mates.  Best friends. And best of all,
Looking forward to many happy and joyous years together.

We had several days of our honeymoon to enjoy and to build special memories on.
Some of which I will share with you over the next day or two.
And some I will keep for myself.
Close to my heart.

Until then, you may rest assured we were joyfully and amazingly happy and blessed
as Mr. and Mrs. Odell Edwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment