Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"I, ODELL, TAKE YOU, BARBARA. . ."

I remember waking up and just smiling.
The sun was shining through my bedroom window.
My bedroom window?  It seemed strange.
After today, it would become Our bedroom window.
I stretched luxuriously for a few minutes.  Letting my mind wander.
From this day forward everything would be ours.
Our new beginning!

My heart was so full of happiness, I didn't know
how it had room enough to keep beating!
I sighed contentedly.  Several times.
Okay.  Enough of the contented sighing.
 I really must get out of bed!
There were things that weren't going to get done by themselves.
Like making myself beautiful for that handsome groom of mine.

I loved sharing this special time with my sister.
You would love Cynthia.  She's almost as sweet as me.
Pretty, sweet, and older.  I love pointing out that last part!
Even though the difference is only eighteen months.
The part she loves pointing out.

Doing my hair and makeup went pretty smoothly.
I enjoyed taking my time to look as pretty as possible for my guy.
Well, actually, today it would be for my handsome and distinguished groom!

You, my readers, surely remember I'm a list person.
So naturally I had my little list for packing.
For the wedding.  And for the honeymoon to follow.
It was about that time now.  Time to drive to the chapel.
You know.  'Goin' to the chapel and We're Gonna Get Married. . .'
Yes.  I am singing it as I tell our story!

My sister and her son carried my luggage
and wedding gown to the car.
There.
Tucked all safely and carefully inside.
Their special attentions made me feel like The Princess Bride!

We arrived at the chapel and headed straight for the
dressing rooms where we were met with a rather disturbing issue.
The AC was not working in the dressing rooms.
Or the reception area.
I had a quick vision of melted icing on my wonderful cake.
Warm punch.
Cranky guests.
Thank God it was April and not August!

I could feel the heat increasing as I slipped my wedding gown over my head.
(Carefully so as not to mess up my hair, of course.)
And I knew the men had to be really uncomfortable in what
my groom loved to call, 'monkey suits.' 

Still, I knew nothing would ruin this beautiful day!
It was our day and we would soon become man and wife.
At the end of the day. . .
When all was said and done. . .
We two would be joined as one.


It was time to get everyone in their places and my friend, Margaret, was doing the honors!
With her assistance, things went quite smoothly.
I peeked into the chapel from my place beside my dad.
He smiled at me.  I was so happy he was feeling better.
Wedding songs were playing on the piano. 
Guests were arriving and being seated.

Then I heard the harmonious blend of trumpet and trombone.
My sons, Don and Randy, were playing 'Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us'.
I knew the candles were being lit.
Aww!
And how precious to watch four of our grandchildren as they walked down the aisle.
The two little flower girls dropping a bed of rose petals before me, while the boys carried the rings and a small white Bible.

I realized I was holding my breath.
I forced myself to breathe.
It was time.
The Wedding March. How beautiful!
It was now my turn.

I loved every second of that walk.
My handsome groom stood there smiling.
It seemed as if he couldn't take his eyes off me.
And my brown eyes were locked on those beautiful blues.

I was now standing at the altar with my Dad.
He was giving me away.  For the second time.
For the last time!
And to the most loving, amazing man in the world!
When Dad stepped away and we came together,
I knew I never wanted to let go of that big, strong hand.

The first song was my daughter, Lori, and friend, David Jackson
singing 'Household of Faith.'  So beautifully done.
Followed by our Pastor Gremillion praying a lovely prayer with us.

Now my oldest daughter, Christy, began singing
 'Surely the Presence of the Lord is in this Place'.
Immediately following the first verse, I heard
a lovely harmony of voices join hers in the chorus.

I turned slightly and there to my complete amazement
were my other three children singing along with her.
I later learned they had arranged to surprise their mama!
And, oh my goodness, was I ever surprised and happy!
It was a truly lovely gift from them to us!
I was already so emotional it was no surprise that tears came.

After exchanging our vows and rings, we stepped up to light the unity candle.
My sister, Cynthia, sang a song I love, that begins with . . .'please don't let this
feeling end. . .', 'Theme From Ice Castles.'  It was so pretty! 
As we stood there, hands joined, we gazed lovingly into each
other's eyes.
I don't remember the words I was saying to him.  What I remember was the way he
smiled at me, and being the gentleman he was, he tilted his head in that cute little
way he had, to hear my  softly spoken words.  I loved it!  I loved him!

In addition.
You know how usually something unusual happens during a wedding?
Something did. During this lovely surprise,
my youngest daughter, Lori, covered her mouth and ran back down the aisle.
A little later I learned that she had gotten really sick and almost lost it!
Bless her sweet little heart!  Well, at least she was still a part of the gift to us.
And I'm sure everyone appreciated her not losing it at the front of the chapel.

My son-in-law, Don, performed the ceremony.  We were his second wedding since he had been licensed.

He did fine.  He just did fine for a very long time!  (smile).
The very best parts were when we repeated our vows to each other.
And when he pronounced us 'husband and wife.'
And told my groom 'you may kiss the bride.'
Which he did! Oh, wow, did he ever!  It was the perfect first 'married' kiss we shared.

Then. . .finally, to the surprise and laughter of everyone there, my son-in-law said to
the congregation, 'I now present to you Mr. and Mrs. Odell Sanders.'
What?  Seriously?  Sanders was my first married name.
Oh, well, as I said before, things happen at weddings.
And it was only his second one, after all!  We decided to cut him some slack.
But, Odell had no intention of changing his name. (smile. again. )

We had a lovely, albeit warm reception. 
Wasn't that a beautiful cake with the fountain?
Did you see the handsome groom?
And the lovely bride?
Don't they look perfectly happy. (sigh)

We were surrounded by happy loved ones, showering us with bubbles, hugs, kisses, and well wishes.
And so it was a very happy Mr. and Mrs. Edwards who later drove away in a cute Chevy Beretta decked out with shoes, cans, shaving cream, and a couple 'helpful' suggestions for the wedding night, better left unsaid!

We were so incredibly happy!
We wanted it to last forever.
We knew it would last as long as God gave us breath.
We knew ours was a lasting love.
And we could hardly wait to begin this new journey together.



More of our special day.....
                            My true Love. My life....

No comments:

Post a Comment