Friday, November 11, 2011

DAIRY QUEEN AND A GARDEN, TOO!

I know. DQ and a garden? What does one have to do with the other?
Okay. It doesn't. Except in one way. They both made us very happy!
We hadn't been settled in long before we discovered a delightful surprise.
Just down the street about 15 miles in the city of Okmulgee. True, it wasn't a leisurely stroll down Happy Camp Road. Then again, it was much closer than Eureka Springs...the place we were last treated to these yummy dipped cones.  It was always chocolate for my guy and either butterscotch or cherry for his girl. Remember, decision making isn't one of my better attributes. (smile). I think my husband found it charming or cute. Which is why he sometimes affectionately called me 'Lucy' as previously mentioned.

Since we couldn't exist on dipped cones alone, Odell successfully put in an amazing garden our second
summer there.  The tomatoes were absolutely divine!  There's just no comparison to the flavor from tomatoes ripened in the sunlight on 'de vine!  And the okra...oh, my goodness! It was everywhere!

We harvested so much of it that we were giving it away by the five pound bags full.  I just have to brag on my gardener. Not only did he give it away, he washed it, cut it, and bagged it.  All it lacked was a ribbon and bow. Oh, and did I  mention he
delivered it?  Along with those delicious tomatoes and cucumbers.

I had heard so
much about 'Odell's garden'.  It was even better than all the
boasting from some of his family.  I felt so proud of him!

This would be the first of many gardens to come. There would be an even bigger one in the future. I would be
almost as busy as my husband...making salsa, rotating tomatoes from the huge crop, and giving, giving, and then...did I mention giving?


No matter how weary I would get, I knew without a doubt it would be worth all the hard work...just seeing the smile on the face of my guy.


You remember...
                             the one I completely adored?


                             the one who stole the heart of


                                         this girl?





                           


\









No comments:

Post a Comment