Tuesday, March 22, 2011

FIRST IMPRESSIONS



Okay!  I will admit my first thoughts weren't
'Wow!  This guy must be in the movies!'
I am ashamed to say that I first thought,
'He looks old enough to be my dad.'
I realized later that this was such a self-centered
first observation of this wonderful man.
Who did I think I was?  God's gift to men?
Did I think his first impression of me was
'Wow!  She doesn't look a day over 30.'
I would learn in the next few minutes
that while I had a cushy office job,
this man worked hard outside,
exposed to all the harsh elements.
He had earned every little wrinkle!
And, I would soon find out, most
had to be just laugh lines!
We smiled at each other, and introduced ourselves.
He motioned for me to precede him to our table.
I loved the booth, decorated with 'I Love Lucy'
pictures.  Things were definitely looking up.
When we were seated at the table and had
both ordered chicken fried steak (hmmm. . .
one more thing in common), we broke the
second rule of our dating service.


Yes, we talked and talked.
About everything.
Our past relationships, at least the most recent.
What we believed in.
Our families.  God.
As he was talking, I found myself almost mesmerized
by those beautiful blue eyes!
And his voice. . .just like on the phone. . .
only better face to face.
I felt in my heart that I could fall in love with this man.
We didn't want to leave that wonderful place.
But we did.  Finally.
We talked for awhile out by my little car.
It was cold, and I imagined him putting his arm around me.
Hey.  Just being honest here.  Telling it like it was.
'I would sure like to see you again.' Odell said.
'Me, too.'
He said 'good.  I'll call you then.'
We both agreed it had been a really nice evening.
Then we said goodnight.  No kiss.
Not the first time.  But he did give me a little hug.
Which I gave back.  I am not that shy!
He opened my car door. . .again, what a gentleman.
I drove away before I remembered.
Christy had tried to give some daughterly advice before
meeting him.
'Mom, things aren't like when you dated Dad.  People
do things differently now.  You need to take money
to offer to pay for your meal.'
What?  Seriously?
But I did it, because she said I should, as crazy as it sounded!
I drove over to where he had his big truck parked.
He was just getting in and saw me drive up.
He turned around and squatted down by my passenger window.
He smiled.
I said, 'I am so sorry.  Did you want me to pay for my meal?'
He threw back  his head and laughed.  'Why, noooo!'
I felt so silly.
'My daughter told me to offer.'
He laughed again, shaking his head.
'I'm going to get her,' I said, shaking my head.
I was so impressed, the way he had squatted down to my
level, so I didn't have to get out or anything.

As I was driving away, I was thinking that I could
definitely care about this man!
I was to find out a couple months later
what his thoughts were as he followed me
to our table that first night. . .

1 comment: